A dental bridge is a good replacement for a "gappy smile". Lost or missing teeth which may be as a result of an accident or gum disease, can leave you with a series of unsightly gaps.
These unfilled spaces affect your appearance and may cause the surrounding teeth to rotate and drift out of position, causing a host of problems including a bad bite, hard to clean teeth, gum disease and temperomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
An Example of our Work
A bridge was used to fill the gap that two lost teeth left behind. The patient can now smile with confidence again.View more examples
Sunita Verma is our Principal Cosmetic Dentist. She will treat all your general dental concerns and is also an expert in cosmetic dentistry. She has won numerous awards and always strives for perfection.
"Missing teeth can make you appear older. A dental bridge is great way to improve your appearance whilst giving you a fuller smile."
A bridge acts as an anchor for replacement teeth. Bridges can be made from porcelain, gold, alloy or any combination of these materials.There are 3 main types of bridge
- Traditional fixed bridge – this is the most commonly used type of bridge and consists of a minimum of 3 units to replace one or more missing teeth. Both teeth either side of the gap are prepared to receive the bridge and once fixed, it cannot be removed.
- Maryland bridge – is an extremely conservative treatment option where we are able to replace a missing tooth with an artificial tooth which is fused to metal 'wings'. These 'wings' are cemented to the back surface of the teeth either side of the gap, making this a highly eye pleasing option.
- Cantilever bridge – is used mostly at the front of the mouth where less stress forces are present. It is a great solution for one missing tooth, where the false tooth is anchored to one of the adjacent teeth. This solution is more conservative than a fixed bridge.
For a permanent solution, a bridge can also be fitted to dental implants.
You may need a dental bridge in the following situations:
- Lost or missing teeth
- To correct bite issues
- To prevent gum disease and bone loss
- To relieve pressure on teeth on either side of the gap
We will help you feel comfortable and relaxed before, during and after the procedure.
The procedure takes two appointments and feels no different than having a filling.
At the first appointment, we minimally prepare the teeth on either side of the missing tooth/teeth to the ideal shape for a bridge. We send an impression or mould of your teeth together with the shade of your teeth to our highly skilled laboratory technician to be made. You will wear a temporary bridge whilst your permanent bridge is being made.
Two weeks later at your second appointment, we numb the area again and remove the temporary bridge. We place your new bridge with special dental cement and check the fit and how you bite, to ensure a perfect fit.
Dental bridges transform your teeth, improving your smile and your appearance.
Bridges also protect teeth against further decay or erosion and help you speak, bite, chew and eat comfortably.
You may be aware of your new dental bridge for the first few days. This is completely normal and you will get used to it after a few days. Your dental bridge looks completely natural and blends in well with your natural teeth.
On average your bridge will last 10 to 15 years. However, it does depend on you and how well you look after your bridge, your other teeth and your gums. Regular routine dental examinations and visits with our hygienist will help.
We understand that price is an important consideration factor. Like any dental treatment, the cost of a bridge is dependant on the number of teeth that are missing, where they are located in the mouth, the condition of your other teeth, the type of bridge and the material used. Generally, the better the quality of material used the more expensive the bridge will be.
When you come to see us for your first consultation, we will determine the most appropriate treatment for you and provide you with a treatment plan and cost.
Your bridge is guaranteed for one year.
To obtain an estimate for the total cost for your treatment, please call 020 8567 4344 for your consultation or email us.
What are the alternatives to treatment?
Bridges are not the only way to treat the above problems.
Partial dentures can be used to replace missing teeth and can be taken out for daily cleaning.